Tuesday

this land is our land

going out to the property. she opens the gate. closes the gate. she helps drive the bumpy road. it's a tradition i've grown to love...
when i met Pat he was living in a bus out in the desert. just ten miles from my mountain, but sometimes it seems like another world completely. flat. dry and dusty. harsh and rather unforgiving land. the vegetation- thorny. but the sunsets are unbelievable. the nights wide open and quiet. no power lines running overhead. no phone lines. just a whole lotta room to run. we are now in the planning stages of a home out there. i wrestle with this. i have the opportunity to practice what i preach in living off the land. off the grid. in a homestead we develop as a family. and this scares me. i have grown comfortable on the mountain. i feel secure in the control i have here. it's mine. when i'm out there i feel i'm on foreign territory. his.
this morning i had an appt. in town and left the kids with pat. pulling up to the turnoff to the property i saw my family. walking. talking. being. and there was peace. more than that - a realization of something bigger than 'mine' or 'his'... this land. it's ours. an empty canvas...

for the first time i saw the picture he's been trying to describe. as th5 would say ...
'it made my heart very happy."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this photo....

4:26 PM  
Blogger Doo Dah said...

how touching~I love love love your stories.

The way you describe your Mom touches my heart so deep.

I cannot write like this, I end up being goofy, you have a true gift from God.

12:58 PM  
Blogger mtnmama said...

thanks ya'll... words are encouraging. (very much so today)
sis - what's with all the *tears* i'm gonna have to post some just for fun stuff soon... :)

7:59 PM  
Blogger skatey katie said...

Th5 "It made my heart very happy."
my kiddos say this all the time..

hey, i'm with you doo dah, i often come here for a wee poetry.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home