Friday

i'm a Hobo!


Halloween isn't a favorite holiday for me. I don't get it honestly. I don't like the excess sugar. I don't like that kids are dressed up like devils and bloody headless creatures demanding candy from strangers. Candy that makes them actmore like the wild beasts they are dressed as. BUT - just for the experience we went trickRtreating last year. It was fun. Th4 (3 at the time) loved it. Not for the haul - which she took one tootsieroll pop from and forgot the rest on her own merit - but for the social act of the thing. She asked questions at every door. She got up close to the decorations and studied... It was as if we were in a different culture - everything being new, amazing, and just a bit scary. We threw her costume together at the last minute - she was a zebra/monkey/cat thing...

This year on the way to her dance class halloween morning we were talking about going again and what she might want to be. I reminded her we would have to make her costume, and was silently praying for something easy. She's old enough now to set her heart on something and I was didn't want to disappoint. She thought about it, mentioned a few ideas, and then yelled "I want to be a hobo!" I couldn't have been more surprised or relieved. A hobo...
I found her hat at the thrift store while she was at class. The rest we threw together that afternoon. She was a great hobo. She took her hat off at each door and held it out. Candy was then turned over to us at the gate and she put her hat back on and moved down. Toward the end of the night she bowed as she extended her hat. Was a fun night.
She has been playing T-R-T at our door the last few days. Knocking and calling then letting herslf in to announce she's going t-r-t-ing again. Yesterday I asked her what she was. She said "i'm a .... a ... i'm a HIPPY GIRL!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home